10 pts 8/20/12
- AS Students – you did it! You completed your first quarter at GSSW! Congrats and have a well-deserved break before returning in September to do it again.
- Congrats to those who finished up their education at GSSW this summer and who graduated on Friday!
- Looking for a chance to see friends and get ready for fall quarter…Save the Date!!!
Advanced Standing Fall Kickoff Pizza Gathering
Sunday, September 9th, 4-6 pm, GSSW Boettcher Community Room
Details and RSVP request coming soon! Meet Jae McQueen! Click here to see a video introduction.
- GSSW Community Service Day 2012! Friday September 7, 8:30-1. The entire GSSW community is welcome to participate – students (returning, new incoming), staff, and faculty. This is a great way to get to know your colleagues! Choose between several indoor and outdoor sites by registering here by September 4. Picnic with one of GSSW’s faculty bands at 4pm on the Craig Hall patio. Register for one or both at http://alumni.du.edu/s/1150/index_2col.aspx?sid=1150&gid=1&pgid=3950&content_id=3356 .
- FREE GSSW sweatshirt to anyone who is willing to thoroughly clean the student kitchen before the fall quarter starts! Contact Karen.Bensen@du.edu to express your interest.
- Field Information –
Registration for your field internships will be completed for you by about August 25th.
Field Confirmation Forms
If you’ve accepted an internship, please complete a Field Confirmation Form ASAP. Email the Field Office for instructions (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Field Education Start Dates:
Foundation Students – Monday, September 19th
Concentration and Advanced Standing Students – Wednesday, September 14th
EARLY STARTS MUST BE APPROVED BY FIELD OFFICE – email email@example.com with student name, agency name, start date, and reason for starting early.
Field Orientation for all incoming foundation-year and advanced standing students (who will be starting internship in the fall):
Wednesday, September 21st
8:30am – 11:30am
Boettcher Community Room , 1st Floor Craig Hall
7. Summer quarter humps – if you found yourself struggling either academically or emotionally during the summer quarter, contact Karen.Bensen@du.edu for resources that will help you succeed this coming year.
8. Don’t forget to check out one or more of the GSSW Student Organizations when you return for fall quarter – Graduate Student Association, Shades of Brown Alliance, Queer Equality Alliance, Multicultural Social Justice Org, ECO Conscious, Phi Alpha Honor Society.
9. Important Dates –
New Student Orientation – Thursday September 6, 8:30-3:30, Boettcher Community Room.
GSSW Community Service Day and Picnic – Friday September 7, 8:30 – 12:30 and 4-6pm.
Advanced Standing Return Party – Sunday September 9, 4-6 pm, Boettcher Community Room.
First Day of classes – Monday September 10. Students should double check their schedules before classes begin.
10. GSSW Listserv info
There are currently three listservs for students at GSSW:
• mandatory for all students, you have all been subscribed automatically
• official source of communication for all academic information (not from individual professors) , registration, graduation, field, etc.
• optional – students are initially ALL subscribed to this list after which they may unsubscribe (directions below) if they choose
• ALL GSSW events, DU campus events, and Denver community events will be posted here
• Please note that unless it Is a GSSW sponsored event, GSSW may have no affiliation with some of the events posted on this listserv; it is merely a means of providing you with information.
• optional – students may subscribe to this list via the directions below.
• job announcements received by the school are forwarded here
• includes SWK and non-SWK jobs, part-time and full-time
Some important things to know about the gssw-jobs and gssw-events listservs:
1. You can subscribe or unsubscribe at any time.
• Subscribe gssw-events https://listserv.du.edu/mailman/listinfo/gssw-events
• Unsubscribe gssw-events https://listserv.du.edu/mailman/options/gssw-events
• Subscribe gssw-jobs https://listserv.du.edu/mailman/listinfo/gssw-jobs
• Unsubscribe gssw-jobs https://listserv.du.edu/mailman/options/gssw-jobs
A. provide the requested information.
B. You will receive an email asking you to confirm your requested action (make sure you confirm it or the action will not be completed).
C. Then you will receive a confirmation email.
2. You can choose to have all postings sent to you in a single email once a week (digest mode):
• You can enable digest mode when you subscribe.
• Or, go to the subscription links above, Login to your account, scroll down about halfway down to where it says “Set Digest Mode,” and click “On.” Then scroll all the way to the bottom and click on “submit my changes.”
• Caution: Students have had difficulty opening some attachments when using digest mode.
If you have questions about the listservs, contact Karen.firstname.lastname@example.org