One of the important things that they drill into us at GSSW is SELF CARE! I’m sure you’ve read other blog posts where people mention some of the things they do to balance out their lives and take care of themselves. Now that the weather is getting nice here in Denver, there are some really awesome ways to get some of that self care…
- Some friends and I have formed a volleyball team and we play four games a week at Wash Park. We entered a league through Sports Monster which is a great adult recreation league that offers sports such as basketball, broomball, dodgeball, kickball, ultimate frisbee, soccer, and many others throughout the year.
- I recently entered in a 5K race benefiting a non-profit organization called Girls on the Run of the Rockies. It’s an awesome agency that encourages healthy lifestyles for girls. Denver and surrounding cities offer regular opportunities to participate in similar races (you can find a list of them at Running Guru).
- Going to a Rockies game on the weekend is a great way to get outside and enjoy Denver’s spring time. You can either sit in the Rock Pile for only $4 or you can go on StubHub to get some great deals.
- Although I haven’t been there yet, I hear that Red Rocks Amphitheater is an amazing entertainment venue. This summer they have some great bands coming to play including O.A.R., Dispatch, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Ray LaMontagne, Bassnectar, and many more.
- BBQ-ing with friends is also a big hit when the weather gets nice and it is a great way to relax (self care!) on a graduate student budget.