Recently, my family visited Denver and in the midst of midterms I was wondering, “what in the heck am I going to do with you?”
For most, the promise of micro-brewed beer and hiking is enough but my mom doesn’t drink or hike….sooooo?
Here are the activities we partook in throughout the weekend:
Day One: Explore Golden and surrounding area
1. Buffalo Bill’s Grave
- Hokey but fun to read about the history of the wild wild west. For instance, did you know Buffalo Bill was Colonel?
- Awesome overlook of the city and into the beautiful mountains surrounding Denver
- Minimal hiking with still a look into some lovely landscapes
- On the way out there is also an old Mansion that is an historical place and open to the public
2. Coors Brewing Tour
- Up until 4pm Thurs-Mon, you can tour Coors Brewing Company for FREE.
- While my mom does not like drinking, seeing the inside of this factory was pretty amazing
- 3 free beers!
3. Golden Gate Canyon Park
- Since Mt Evans wasn’t driveable, this was a great alternative. We were able to get high enough in altitude to see some snow.
- There is a cheesy little gift shop at the visitor’s center with a nice little loop that is flat and mom-friendly.
4. Dinner in Golden!
- Golden has a very cute little downtown with a lot of places to eat
- We also ate some delicious ice cream (peanut-butter chocolate=amazing!)
Day Two: Downtown Denver
1. Denver Art Museum
- There is a neat exhibit right now at the Denver Art Museum called “Passport to Paris.” This was definitely a great way to spend a few hours.
- Also the Museum Cafe was a nice place to grab a coffee and pastry to rejuvenate.
2. Capitol Building
- This site is a good spot to explore and view downtown
- We were there during the Rock and Roll Marathon so we watched the race for a bit
3. Colorado Mint
- Unfortunately, this building was closed but it is our plan to return with the fambam during the week.
4. 16th Street Mall
- This is a nice walkable outdoor mall that gave my mom a chance to experience more of downtown Denver
- Also a good spot to grab dinner!